Thursday, June 11, 2009

A debate which will rage for months.

I'm making y'all crazy with my prolific-ness, ain't I? You can't believe it. This is a microblog.

We have been talking about baby names, a lot, of course. For some reason we talk about girls' names more than boys' names... it's like we think we are having a girl although there is no kind of evidence to back that up. Also, we don't plan on finding out the sex of the baby before it is born, so we're liable to go through this entire pregnancy with the idea at the back of our minds that we're having a girl, only to have it come out a boy. I don't know why I feel like it's a girl so much; maybe I just can't imagine that a penis growing inside me? Now that I bring it up... it is kind of odd.

That is not the point. The point is that Mr. Dill and I have a major difference in tastes as far as girls' names go. I tend towards more old-fashioned names, or nature-y names. I like flower names; I really like the name "Wren," but he is less than enthusiastic (he says it has something to do with the way my country-ass pronounces it). He likes spunky, boyish names; he has wanted a daughter named "Charlie" for as long as I can remember.

So we'll be having conversations about baby names; I'll sit with the laptop and browse baby name websites, and throw ideas that I like at him, and he'll do the same. Our exchanges often sound like this:

A: "What about Pearl? I kind of like it."
B: (Looking at me aghast) "Pearl is an old woman's name, Amanda."

B: "Roxanna, that's a good name. Roxanna."
A: (Studying his profile intently, while he plays a flash game) "Are you being serious?"
B: "Yeah, Roxanna. What do you think?"
A: "Brandon... Roxanna is a whore's name. We cannot give our daughter a whore's name."

Sometimes a name is declared both old and whorish.

4 comments:

ramblings_river said...

For the record, I think Wren is awesome.

My mother always used to tell me to yell the name that way you know if you're going to sound like a douche when you run after your kid screaming his or her name.

I used to like Durham for a boy (weird, I know), but try yelling it. I'd have sounded like a retarded redneck chasing a kid named Durham.

Jerm said...

Hi! My wife and I got to go through this very thing, just last year. Funny - she has wanted to name a girl Charlie for ever and ever as well. Once we found out that she was pregnant, we started working on names and almost immediately 'settled' on Isabelle Marie. But then we wavered, and went back to the drawing board. It took us months and months, and in fact, we weren't sure about the name until she was 7 or 8 months along. We did the same thing you guys are doing, trying out tons of name, and eliminating most. We eventually came up with a short list, and worked down from there. We eventually settled on Piper Morgan, and it seems to be working out.

You might even try lists - both of you create a list of names that you like, and have the other take the list and give each name a 'no', 'maybe', or 'ok'.

Good luck with the name hunt!

Quinta das Abelhas said...

ooh, i think wren is a fab name! pearl's good too. xxx

fancycwabs said...

No no no no no. You cannot name a child Ren any time after that cartoon came out. You might as well name her Bugs or Daffy.

 

design by suckmylolly.com